Monday 23 May 2011

Tulip Festival Community Quilt Project

Happy Victoria Day!

My cousin and her family came down for the long weekend so I finally had an opportunity to check out the Canadian Tulip Festival downtown. Because, really, you can't come to Ottawa in May without seeing the Tulip Festival, right? I'd heard that they have a community quilt project this year that will be displayed during the festival in future years. Needless to say, I was keen to see it and participate if I could.

Well, I wasn't disappointed. The Kaleidoscope community quilt is being made under the direction of textile artist Gabby Ewen and is going to be gorgeous! Participants were asked to sign their names on green brick-sized blocks, and then write a message about peace in a notebook and on a ribbon. The ribbons are being used to make the tulip. The tulip petals are all sorts of shades of red, orange, pink, and purple. The background is made of diamonds stitched together with different crazy quilt stitches. The older boys and I participated by signing our names and including a message on a burgundy ribbon. They let me take a few pictures, which I thought I'd share with you. I didn't get any detail shots, mostly because my kids decided to take off in separate directions!


Here's another one from the other direction:


They have a great gallery of photos where you can see the quilt's progress. Enjoy! I can't wait to see it finished and displayed next year.

1 comment:

  1. The colors and movement in this piece is exciting...what a great idea! I will look forward to seeing the finished project. It's great...My Best, joni

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...