Sunday 9 September 2012

Stash Play - Produced Purple

Thanks for the great response to my first stash play a couple of weeks ago. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a natural at picking colours and fabrics, although I have gotten a lot better over the last couple of years. My purpose in playing this game is to improve my colour and fabric choices and to get me playing (and using) my stash more.

A number of you were interested in giving this game a try too, which I think is awesome. For those of you who'd like to try this too, I'll do a linky party starting next Sunday and leave it open for the week so you can link up whenever you like. I'd love to see what palettes you pull together.

We all have different colours interests so let's make the 'rules' really simple.  Go to Design Seeds (or any other palette source) and choose a colour palette. The palette you choose can be one that you actually want to use in a quilt or one you just want to play with. Once you've chosen your palette, find fabrics in your stash or even from online shops that work with the palette. You can stick to the palette closely or use it as a jumping off point for finding a solid fabric selection from your stash. No big colour analysis needed or even doing solids vs. prints like I did last week and this week; just find fabrics that work with the palette. Sound good?

Here's my stash play this week -- Produced Purple from Design Seeds. Such great rich colours!

produced purple

Here are my tries with solids. Not loving any of the combinations, although the last one feels closest to the palette.




And a couple of my attempts with prints:

From left to right:
1. Pearl River By Kathy Hall for Andover
2. Harmony by Print Concepts
3. VIP Print by Cranston Printworks
4. Kesslers design by Concord Fabrics
5. Japanese print - No idea
6. Japanese print - No idea
7. Marble by R.E.D. Original Designs
8. Rose mottle dye - No idea  
From left to right:
1. Pearl River By Kathy Hall for Andover
2. Harmony by Print Concepts
3. VIP Print by Cranston Printworks
4. Kesslers design by Concord Fabrics
5. Japanese print - No idea
6. Japanese print - No idea
7. Marble by R.E.D. Original Designs
8. Rose mottle dye - No idea
9. Scarborough Fair # 30188 by Wyndham Fabrics

I think the last print one works best with the palette, with the pink and green giving the pop. That said, if I were using it in a quilt, I'd probably use the first print palette as if feels safer or just use a tiny bit of the pink.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Good job M-R! I like the first print palette the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Design Seeds Palette Search and their blog {fresh news}. I often visit just for the beautiful pictures:) I love purples and greens together and I tend towards them all the time. I think I have all of those colours in plain except maybe the second green might be a tad different. I'd like to join in the linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea and something I need alot of practice with. I'm going to give a try this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's a fun idea! I'm not sure I'd do as well at this as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the colors! My kind of palette!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...