Thursday 11 July 2013

TGIFF! - Curtains Up for TGIFF!

Welcome to TGIFF!, where every finish deserves a celebration!

One project that I haven't shared until now, but has been a true monkey on my back, is these curtains for my son's room. I started them back in December. I pieced the front back in December, but got stuck on adding the lining and hemming them. Curtains are not my strong suit. I've made them before and I curse them each time. I wish I could just hang quilts as curtains. Hmmm...

But the son wanted dark grey, purple and burgundy (yes, he's apparently 8 going on 25) and I couldn't find anything ready made. This project did nothing to endear me more towards making curtains in the future, but the son gave them a "They rock" so we're good to go. :D

I also finished this Simply Solids bee block for Chelsea at Pins and Bobbins. She asked for a spiderweb block, using this tutorial. I hadn't made one of these before so I was looking forward to it. Fun! I can see more of these in my future. :) Can't say that I'm loving this block, but they are bright fun colours as was requested.


Also completed is one side of a reversible wedding gift. I'm a little nervous because this quilt is for a cousin-in-law who is from a quilting family. Her grandmother was a 16-or-20-or-something-amazing-like-that-stitch-per-inch kind of hand quilter. We're talking Heirloom with a capital H here. This grand dame is no longer with us, which is probably the only reason I'd dare make a quilt for her granddaughter. My quilt will be a good throw size, meant for cuddling while reading, watching television, etc. The other side will be very large equilateral triangles in reds and greys and the quilting will be red matchstick quilting.




Have a fabulous weekend!

18 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I really like that spider web block

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that block! I've used quilts as curtains for my house in the country and they look awesome. I used rings and clips to hang them... Really easy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a few sets of curtains and they're all turned out mediocre. Hopefully the next set will be better--the new house is in need of many new window coverings. I love the spider web block! Though If I ever get around to making one I'd use a different center color--I am not a white quilt type of person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys are funny creatures, aren't they! Your spiderweb block looks great, M-R! Chelsea may be getting more than she bargained for, asking us for bright colours! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that spiderweb block. The colors are bright and fun! and hey- if your son likes the curtains, that's all that counts! I think they look great too!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for sticking with the curtains...I give you the thumbs up also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the spiderweb block. As for curtains, as much of a pain they are to make, you get exactly what you want, in the size you want, and it's all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like asking Picasso to paint the bathroom? But as long as he's happy, you win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! Isn't it nice to get the monkey off your back? Love the spiderweb quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that block! Yeah i can relate to your wedding quilt story. The little community where a live has been generations of hand quilters. They do not allow machine quilted quilts in their show. I was talking to someone this week who quilts and she did not know what a longarm sewing machine was! So glad you are giving your quilt. Your work is amazing! Anything that is created from our hearts and hands and heads have value. We will keep on with diligence to be proud of what we do. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Argh, curtains! They usually leave me frustrated and wishing I was taller. They turned out great and hang really well. Looking forward to seeing more of the wedding gift quilt, love the bright colours of the back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that I am madly in love with that spiderweb block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The spiderweb block is amazing! Love it in the solids. I don't think I have seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pretty bee block. :D You know, though? Folks who have a such a quilter in the family are the ones most likely to truly appreciate a gifted quilt, so I wouldn't feel intimidated by her heritage. Besides - I'm betting her grandmother wouldn't have made such a quilt, and that it's something that will be quite meaningful to your cousin! (And, yep - that's an interesting color combo choice for an 8yo!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice that you made the curtains your son wanted! I would have tried to persuade mine to choose something that I wanted LOL Fun bee block too! I'm sure the wedding quilt will be loved :) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got nothing to worry about. People who come from quilting families appreciate the time and effort that goes into any quilt. I am sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great round up of links, and some gorgeous colors. My readers at FaveQuilts would love your projects. : )

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...