Thursday 12 September 2013

TGIFF! - Bright Stripes

Bright Stripes - Close up
Welcome to Thank Goodness It's Finally Finished (TGIFF), where every finish deserves a celebration!

Pull up a chair, grab a cup of something delicious, and let's see what quilty goodness has been finished this week.

Bright Stripes
Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Bright Stripes is done and I simply adore it! I'm so glad I put on my big girl pants to cut into my little stash of Bright Remix by Robert Kaufman for this project.

For those who are here for the first time, this is my test of my Falling for Stripes pattern (coming soon).

Bright Stripes - Front

Quilting Detail - Double line
separating the spirals
from the straight lines
This is quilted with white 50 wt. Aurifil thread (#2024) with spirals, a small double line around the outer spirals and then straight lines.

Quilting Detail
The spirals were started with free motion quilting, but then I switched to my walking foot so that I'd get more even and uniformly-spaced spirals. I'd seen this on someone else's blog, but now I can't remember who it was. Sorry! One lesson learned was to do at least 10 turns of the spiral to make the centre free motion spiral large enough so that the walking foot can maintain a smoother curve.

I love effect the effect of the spirals done this way, but it took twice as long to do it as I had planned and there are a ton of threads to bury at the end. There was a lot of knee lifting, turning, and pulling the quilt through the throat of the machine for this quilt. It's hard on the shoulders and wrists. It's worth it though.

For the back, I took one strip of scrap Bright Remix and some white. Simple. I like it.


Bright Stripes - Back
I also used the Bright Remix for the binding, just like I did with What The FMQAYGQAL? I love, love, love Bright Remix as a binding.

Quiltography: "Bright Stripes," by Michèle-Renée Charbonneau, Ottawa, 45" by 57", 2013.

Oh, and if you haven't had a chance to enter my Sew Sisters Birthday Giveaway, it closes Monday...

This was one of my Q3 goals for the 2013 Finish-along with Leanne at She Can Quilt. Yay! 

33 comments:

  1. Wow! This quilt is something else. The spirals are the perfect texture for this quilt. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilting on this! it's so beautiful with all of that white space!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that is amazing. Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic finish M-R! I love the effect the quilting added to the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic! The quilting is a really wonderful addition to the lines/squares on the top. And the back is just simple and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, front and back. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous quilt! Stunning and perfect both front and back...you must be so happy! That Bright Remix is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty - and amazing quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is amazing quilting! Such a happy quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt absolutely gorgeous. The quilting is fabulous too. Thank you for hosting the linky. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! Love everything about it from the pattern, the quilting and the great biding finish! You should be doing the happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful. I really need to work on my machine quilting. Do you pin or use an adhesive to baste?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent job! I love the quilting!
    Hope you don't mind if I share this, with a link back, on my facebook page at http://facebook.com/sewfreshquilts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned out amazing. I love the circles with the squares. A great finish to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is really stunning! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt turned out great! I especially love the simplicity of the strip of horizontal strips on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one marvelously cheerful quilt! I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quilted circles! Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... that quilting is something special! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. M-R, I know you already follow my pinterest quilts board (http://www.pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/), and I'm sure you'll see me having pinned this, but I wanted to drop you a line on how spectacular it is! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rainbow goodness! Great quilting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it!! Great pattern and the quilting looks amazing! I agree that binding is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your design looks wonderful in those fabrics and I love your spiral quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh M-R, I love the quilting! I haven't quilted mine yet, but those spirals are amazing. I'm very inspired!

    beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's absolutely awesome! I can only imagine how much work it was to quilt this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is the COOLEST quilting for this quilt!! Love the juxtaposition - it's so alive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. This quilt is amazing! How much stripe fabric did it take?

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...