Thursday 10 October 2013

TGIFF! - O Merry Canada Christmas Day

Welcome to TGIFF! and OctoberQuest 2! I'm happy to report that one of my older works in progress is now done! Woo hoo!

Two years ago, I made the front of this table runner. I found these large felt asterisks pot separators at the dollar store and thought they'd make a great table runner ie. you could put the pots directly on the quilt instead of using hot pads.
I appliquéd them on the cream text fabric with a zigzag stitch. This is one of those projects that falls into the "what was I thinking?!" category.


I wanted it to be reversible for another holiday, but couldn't decide which one. Halloween? Valentine's Day? Thanksgiving?

After several tries with Halloween fabric ('cause I found black asterisks!), I decided to stick with the red and cream theme and go with Canada Day (I'm not much a Valentine's Day person).

Christmasy-side:

O Canada side:

The spirals and pebbles in the cream areas and the jester hat quilting in the red swirly border were done with Aurifil 50 wt. #2000. I like! What I don't like is how the felt bubbles up now. Oh well!


It's 22" by 61". Even though it fell into the "What was I thinking?" category, I'm pretty happy with it now. Now I've just got to find me a 60" by 100" table for it and a bigger dining room. ;)

Now for OctoberQuest 2! Please make sure you READ the rules BEFORE you link up. We had to unlink several folks last week and I'd rather not have to do it this week!

Your quest is to finish up those quilty projects and link up at any of our fab four hosts throughout the month of October. The rules remain the same as last year:
  1. Your quilty project must be completely finished (As much as we love celebrating quilt tops or completed blocks, they will not be eligible for the prizes so we will need to unlink them).
  2. You may enter more than one finish and even more than one finish each week. Just add a link for each finish to one of the linky parties. The linky parties will stay open until the end of the month.
  3. Your blog post or photo on Flickr/Picasa must have a link back to the TGIFF! site and the particular party you are participating in. Posts without links will be deleted.
  4. Link up your quilty finish in any of the TGIFF! linky parties this month:
  5. OctoberQuest will be open until October 31st at 11:59 p.m. EST. Winners will be picked via Ms. Random Number Generator on November 1st and notified via email. Please make sure we can contact you via email or we will blow the gift certificates on ourselves need to run Ms. Random again.
1) Mad About Patchwork is giving a $50 gift certificate to two lucky participants! There's something for everyone too - Pam's offering a 10% off purchases for the month of October to all OctoberQuest participants -- just use TGIFF10 at checkout.
Mad About Patchwork
2) Sew Sisters Quilt Shop is giving a $50 gift certificate to two lucky participants! They too are offering 10% off purchases (excluding classes, clubs and block of the month programs) for the month of October to all OctoberQuest participants -- TGIFF10 at checkout!
Sew Sisters
3) Christa Quilts is giving a $25 gift certificate to one lucky participant! Christa is having a special fall blowout clearance sale - take an extra 10% off her clearance section when you use the code 13CLEARANCE at checkout.
Christa Quilts
Just think of what deliciousness you could get with one of these prizes?! So exciting! Thank you to our sponsors for offering these goodies! So to help us celebrate OctoberQuest 2 and be in the running for these amazing goodies, start linking! Here's the linkup:

16 comments:

  1. I love that fabric you have used for the leaves... it's very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the table runner a lot! It was smart to make it reversible! thanks so much for hosting. I always love the inspiration at TGIFF!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute table runner M-R! I linked up a Christmas table runner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea M-R... 2 in 1 table runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took a while for inspiration to meet up with you on this project... But it was totally worth the wait! I love the maple leaves! Ps. I'd love to see the jester hat quilting in more detail. Hint, hint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea! Those maple leaves are gorgeous and make me miss Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the Canada side. The leaves could count for Fall in general as well. That's a pretty clever idea to make it reversible for 2 different holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the maple leaves, I also think it has a bit of an autumn feel. It would transition well from Fall to Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your asterisks are so wonderful and graphic! I love that it's two sided- the maple leaf side feels simultaneously patriotic and season appropriate. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be a table runner kind of week! Love your maple leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that was a great idea. Two holiday runners in one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! That is a great idea that you can put the hot dishes on it too! It turned out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fun, thank you for hosting!
    missysaprons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I *really* love your runner all finished up this way! The Canada side is wonderful, and the quilting did a super job of "waking up" the asterisk side. In the photo, the felt looks nice puffed up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea M-R! Love, love, love the leaves. You make some amazing Canada-themed things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished two Super Totes (with quilted pockets), can I enter both (in separate blog posts)?

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...